I’ve had to learn the hard (and sometimes hilarious) way to describe what I do in as non-technical way as possible. Because when I tell people that part of my job is to act as a copywriter and a ghostwriter, there are a few questions and assumptions that often pop up.
“So … you copy people’s work?”
“Ah, okay. I get it. You’re a lawyer.”
Not unless you consider watching Legally Blonde and Legally Blonde 2 as a path to becoming qualified as a lawyer.
“You write ghost stories?”
No. But that would be undeniably cool.
“You write about ghosts?”
Again, that would be pretty cool, but unfortunately, no.
“So, what do you do? What is a copywriter and a ghostwriter?”
This is usually the point where I smile (not unkindly) and explain patiently that:
They’re both ways of describing professional writers.
A copywriter is a type of writer that writes ‘copy’ (or content/text) on behalf of clients. Copywriters can create text for websites, sales material, eBooks and pretty much anything word-related.
Meanwhile, a ghostwriter is kind of like an anonymous writing gun for hire. You can pay them to write your eBook, blog posts, emails, letters, whatever you need on your behalf and then you publish it under your name. You might have heard of writers ghostwriting popular autobiographies on behalf of famous celebrities.
Why don’t I just call myself a writer?
It would certainly make more sense, right? Well, typically I do. But calling myself a writer often leads to the assumption that I’m an author, which while is definitely a goal of mine, is not what my business is all about.
And now to the important part …
How can a copywriter and a ghostwriter help your business?
Ah, let me count the ways:
- They can help make you and your business communication look polished and professional.
- They’ll help your written communications feel unique and full of personality.
- They can help you articulate your vision, brand and key points of difference in a wholeheartedly loveable way.
- They can help you sell your products and services charismatically and authentically.
- They can help you put your best business foot forward.
- They can write a kick-ass bio and about page on your behalf (‘cos you know that’s something you’ve been putting off!)
- They can save you muchos time – and frustration – if writing isn’t your strong point.
But basically, they will help you look good. And a good copywriter and ghostwriter can also creatively and strategically position your brand and business so you’re the name on everyone’s lips.